September 1, 2010

Secret Life of Dresses

I have worn many dresses.  Some are homemade & some are bought from a store.  Some cost more than others.  Some are not my dresses at all.  Some I wore many times, while others are worn only once.  Each is very different. Some are still very pretty.  However, others simply are not, but I guarantee you each were stylish at some point in time.
More times than not I was dressed to match my sister.
Coordinating dresses made by our mother.
This is my mom's favorite picture of me.  Personally, I always thought it made me look like a midget.  I guess I am sitting down?
Cute little boys in identical peach dresses.
Easter at Grandma & Grandpa Perkins.  Finally too old to wear matching dresses.
At a Young Women's activity we had a paper dress fashion show.  Our mom's had to construct our dresses using only paper.  Needless to say, mine stole the show.
I loved dressing up in my mom's old dresses.  This green one was my favorite.
I would have friends come over & we would set up our own little studio, try on each dress, & then photograph each other.  I think I am taking it a little too seriously here.
We were so sophisticated {wink}
I think I am lost in thought...what a nerd.
Bethany wanted every shade of pink for her wedding reception.  She got it.
Tim & Holly's wedding soon after Adam & Bethany.  Getting my hair done was always my favorite part of dressing up.
My very first dance. 
Homecoming 2002
I wore Bethany's hand-me-down for Prom 2003.  It was my favorite of her dresses.
Homecoming 2003's dress was a competitor for my favorite High School dance dress I wore.  This is the first of the three dresses I designed for myself.
The second was inspired by the dress in How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days - - mine doesn't show as much skin, but I  the color.
Winter Formal 2004
The last dress I had made was the other competitor for my #1 spot.  I remember all the girls had this style of dress, but mine was unique because it was homemade.
Prom 2004
Another important dress {sort of}
Class of 2004
aka: FOREVER ago!
All of these dresses are special, but not quite as special as these next three.  In my room, growing up was this poem:

My Three White Dresses
My mom bought me a white dress,
Not red, or pink, or blue.
She said it was a special dress
Like very other few,
There has been just one before,
A dress now put away,
That I wore sometime ago
Upon my blessing day.
As a little baby clothed
In my first white dress,
My dad held me in his arms,
There to name and bless.
So pure and clean was I just then,
With time to grown and learn
About the Father's plan for me.
My glory I must earn.
Now I've reached the age to judge
The wrong road from the right,
And I am here to be baptized
In this dress of white.
So once again I'm free from sin.
The path is clear to me.
I'll grasp the rod and hold on tight, I vow with certainty.
Just as mud would stain my dress,
Sin would stain my soul.
The key is to repent or bleach,
For whiteness is my goal.
And if I try my very best,
Then richly blessed I'll be,
Wearing inside God's holy house
White dress number three.
So today I make this pledge:
I'll strive to choose the right,
Through this sacred baptism ordinance
In my second dress of white.
-- Linda Gay Perry Nelson

2 comments:

Wendy Bro. said...

I just read about all of your dresses. And, all of your dogs!! I love to read your blog. You're such a doll and I'm sure everyone is glad you're back from Texas.

Chris and Heather said...

Did you have hairy arms as an infant? Maybe it was the lighting. :)

1994, now THAT is forever ago!