July 5, 2010

Celebrating Freedom With Some Okies

Oklahoma

Can you hear it?!

You know what I mean?

The song. THE song.

O---klahoma, where the wind comes sweeping off the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
...
We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!
And when we say
Yeeow! Ayipioeeay!
We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine, Oklahoma!
Oklahoma O.K.

Well, I heard it [in my head] the entire drive up to Oklahoma this past weekend to visit my Aunt & Uncle & some cousins who live in the very small town of Fort Gibson, Oklahoma.
And look who I found there too!
Dad, Mom, & Ben!Jordan had a long weekend off work & I really wanted to visit these special folks while we were in Austin this summer, since they would be a hop, skip, & a jump away. The only cousin I have that is my age [on my mom's side of the family] has always lived eons away.
Pismo Beach, California. Muskogee, Oklahoma. Santiago, Chile. Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Fort Gibson, Oklahoma.
You get the idea...I NEVER see her!I spent a month (longest time I was away from home before now) in Wisconsin with these fine people the summer before I started Junior High. Good memories.
We had a very nice weekend. The girls went antique shopping,while the boys stayed home & rode quads in the rain & mud. I never got to see the boys with mud all over them, but I can imagine they looked somewhat like this...We got home from shopping and had a Fish Fry.My grandma used to have Fish Fry's whenever my grandpa went fishing - probably somewhere in Mexico. The whole family would gather at Grandma & Grandpa's house & there was plenty of crispy, golden-fried fish to go around. Grandpa would always say, "I wonder what the poor folks are eating?"
I have very fond memories of those special times as they do not happen anymore. I have not had a Fish Fry in years (seriously, well over 10 years).
A Huge thanks to these 2 ladies, especially Miss Kathy who slaved over the hot stove while we devoured the most scrumptious dinner ever.
Oh, & my cousin David for catching all the fish, he was also a very important piece in the equation.
We had an extra special Fourth of July in Oklahoma.
My Uncle Gary is 1st Counselor in the Bishopric & was in charge of the meeting on Sunday. He organized a very special program with the organist to help celebrate the Fourth.
I, personally, have always been sensitive to the power of music & I have never been so moved as when I heard Come, Come, Ye Saints & The Star Spangled Banner played in a small church in Muskogee, Oklahoma. The organist & the chorister were father & son & they played with such
Power. Vigor. Soul. Spirit.
I wish I could have half as much passion for anything as they displayed for us what was obviously a passion & love for music.
Amazing.
My Uncle Gary is also the Director of the Chamber of Commerce in Fort Gibson & helped raise money, put together, provided the music, & announce the Fireworks Show for the community.
Like a dummy I forgot my camera, so these picture were taken with Jordan's phone, but here I am with Lindsey (her hubby, Rodney, in the background). We are decked out in our Red, White, & Blue.Mom...& Dad, sort of.I have never been that close to the fireworks. It was so much fun. I could even watch the young man, Aaron?, run around to light all the fireworks, what a workout! What a great country we live in. We are so blessed to have the freedom we enjoy. Thank you to all those who have & do & will make it all possible. We are forever indebted.
The after party fireworks show was provided by this crazy
pyromaniac/fireworks addict.& supervised by this tough looking guy & others.The after after party included a concert provided also by Beninem. Listen here.
& a viewing of What Lies Beneath. Some of us were braver than others. Ahem, Mom!
We picked up some new rides while we were there too.
Do you like them?
My uncle likes to collect cars & Jordan liked to drive them.This look is accompanied by shaking his head and saying "Ooff, I like this."Thank you for the fun weekend Gar-Bear & Miss Kathy. We you. Come see us in Austin.
Can you tell I am the favorite niece?
Well, I am.

2 comments:

Alexa Mae said...

you are so cute meg! looks like so much fun. those cars are awesome!!!

Sharon Mae said...

It's so fun to visit relatives and it looks like you had a wonderful visit!! We can't wait for ours!